Jeff Johnson is a prolific author and consultant, who provides advanced product usability consulting to major corporations and brings his experience to the masses through his books on achieving good design. His firm, UI Wizards Inc. provides training to help non-technical executives learn what they need to know to make good decisions and work constructively with technical staff.
Johnson has twice been named an Erskine Fellow to the Computer Science and Software Engineering Department at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
He received ACM SIGCHI’s Lifetime Achievement in Practice Award in 2016.
“Jeff’s early devotion to ethical issues in computing was apparent in his conference talks and professional activism. I respected and learned from his strong statements on social issues. He succeeded as a consultant and author, repeatedly turning out influential books, such as his series of books on GUI and Web Bloopers.” – Ben Shneiderman
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Stanford University (1974 – 1979)
- B.A. in Experimental Psychology, Yale University (1970 – 1974)
- Vice-President, Wiser Usability, Inc. (2011 – Present)
- President, UI Wizards Inc. (1996 – Present)
- Human Interface Engineer, Sun Microsystems (1993 – 1996)
- Technical Staff, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories (1988 – 1993)
- Technical Staff, US West Advanced Technologies (1987 – 1988)
- Development Team Leader, User Interface Design, Xerox Information Systems (1984 – 1987)
- Software Engineer & Manager, Cromemco Inc (1978 – 1984)
- Election to ACM CHI Academy 2014
- ACM CHI Lifetime Achievement in Practice Award Biography 2016